Sunday, September 13, 2009

Saturday September 12, 2009 Early Fall


A unique type of weather that I have most often seen in the mountains or in a jet plane as it climbs above the weather. Forboding and dark stormy skies break to show off the clearest and crispest of blue skies. A dreary dark shadowed indirect light is replaced by a rare and special, clear, bright, glow.

I arrived with just enough time to check in with the rangers at the fee station and pick up my radio. I spent quite a bit of time in the upper lot before starting my circuit. It was mostly cloudy but the wind picked up and the clouds started to break during the circuit. Lots of advice given out.

Hiking in the twilight with all the dark clouds it felt more like very late Fall not very late summer or early Fall. The good news is it will help me savor the better fall weather that is sure to be coming up.

For a second week in a row I came across a copperhead on the Saddle Trail while under headlamp. This one was quicker than last weeks and disappeared out of sight of the trail before I could get his picture.
.
.
Fall flowers.
Woodland Goldenrod
White Wood Asters

.
.
A panorama stictched together from four shots. Looking up the Ridge Trail as evening approaches. Double click and use slider bar for higher resolution.
.
.
Looking back at the first false summit basked in the light of the setting sun shinning through a patch of blue in the midst of swirling dark clouds.
.
.
The igneous dike with the chokestone stuck in it.
.
.
While peak colors are weeks away some of the leaves are already changing.

.
.
Looking down on Graves Mountain Resort from the summit as twilight fades to night.
.
.
A great looking mushroom.
I believe it is Jack O Lantern but I am not sure. If it is than its gills will glow a faint green in the deep dark.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What great photos. Where exactly is this? Thank you for sharing your trip. Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! I just saw the top and apologize for asking where! Thanks again. Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment. As often as I am on Old Rag it still offers up a variety of new stuff for me to enjoy or be curious about. Including lots of interesting and friendly hikers. If you have not gone up the Ridge Trail to the Summit of Old Rag mountain I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete