Wednesday, December 8, 2010

END OF PATROLS START OF HIKES

OFFICIAL PATROLS TOO RISKY FOR NOW

At least for the immediate future it has been determined too dangerous for me to patrol for the organizations that I normally volunteer for.

Of course I will still be hiking and having fun on Old Rag and blogging about it.

I will just be doing it as a regular citizen/hiker.

My personal agenda will still include:

1) providing helpful advice to hikers,
2) being a good Samaritan,
3) educating folks about resource protection issues,
4) educating folks about cultural history issues,
5) providing helpful hints about Old Rag and outdoor skills,
6) sending personal e-mails (not Trail Patrol reports) concerning trail conditions


Once it is considered safe for me to officially patrol again I will do so.

In the meantime this is just a post to make it clear to everyone that my activities on Old Rag for the immediate future have no official volunteer organization imprimatur.

LEVITY ALERT:
I am still processing a gazillion (not necessarily mature) emotions on this one:
1) I never liked filling out all those reports.
2) I guesss its just me, you, and nature JR.
3) You can not reach me so I will have to call you when I can.
4) No radio--three pounds saved more privacy less noise.
5) Finally I will have some better fashion options for hiking.
6) Yee Haa! I no longer need to keep close track of when it gets dark and I can enjoy the stars and moon on dark sacred nights.
7) Five feet of new powder. Minus 25F. 30MPH Winds. White Out. Come On Real Winter Of My Youth Visit The South And Lets Have Fun Dancing Like We Used To!
8) I bet there are some good spots for grain shovel or toboggan races if some of these slabs get enough snow!
9) "Do you ever feel already buried deep, six feet under screams and no one seems to hear a thing........you just got to ignite the light and let it shine just own the night like the Fourth of July...........Boom Boom Boom even brighter than the Moon Moon Moon" Katy Perry Firework

BACK TO SERIOUSNESS:
The SNP truly has to be very concerned about the risk that a volunteer takes on under its official imprimatur so I know this decision makes absolute organizational sense.

On some levels this is no different than when you have a friend who decides that an activity is not their cup of tea. Each organization and each individual needs to make decisions about what is fun, worthwhile, and or safe based on a very complicated set of things that are unique to them.

1 comment:

  1. You've been doing valuable things up there. Looks like you've found a role for the interim. Keep posting on the mountain and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete