Monday, November 15, 2010

ORMS Last Patrol Day 2010 Dulcified Bullies On Parade

These first two pictures are mostly for those who use my blog to ascertain recent conditions. The first was taken for Nethers the second was taken from Etlan.

Double click and use + hour glass for higher resolution.





Some vultures scared off a deer carcass.

Deep in Berry Hollow a little bit of brilliant color was still to be seen.



Learning to place anchors.

WISH I HAD A PICTURE FOR THIS QUIXOTIC MOMENT
DULCIFIED BULLIES ON PARADE
In the middle of our rappelling and ascending practice we heard quite a ruckus over on the summit. Chad decided to go check it out. After about 5 minutes I decide to check myself. As I approached up through the back of a semicircle of around 30 fraternity brothers I realized they were looking down and heckling someone down below them in what I knew to be a natural amphitheater. As I snuck up to the back of the crowd I could peer down to see Chad on center stage. The banter between Chad and "the boys" was on the borderline between fun and mean and I could tell Chad was using all his creativity to keep things "Happy". There were some in the crowd who seemed to want "Lord of The Flies". Suddenly "the boys" noticed I was in their midst. Across the semicircle from me someone tapped the shoulder of one of the chief hecklers and pointed to me. It seemed that they thought this somehow changed the dynamics of the situation. In the meantime, Chad was still working his magic turning every potentially mean comment into a lighthearted joke. He took the next opportunity to segue to an exit stage right. Chad had masterfully navigated potentially ugly to stay happy. Hopefully his counselling had some effect on the remaining part of "the boys" day and maybe live's.
.
MY CONTROLLED INNER BESERKER OR IS IT SKIER SKATER?
I have played very competitive hockey, high school level football and participated in beginning competitive martial arts sparring. I love extreme competitive physical contact when it is with a willing skilled co-participant. Win or loose it is just one heck of a blast to release primal passions and to revel in split second violent coordinated body skills when it is ethically ok to do so. Win or loose, pain or no pain, the contact and contest is just plain simple violent passionate fun.
.
Being able to honestly display that you can enjoy a good tussle while giving a problem child a face saving way out is sometimes a good way to diffuse a tense situation.
.
Like the extreme skier hurtling towards sure death who at just the right microsecond applies just the right amount of edge and sails inches past a mortal crash.
.
"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power - like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson
.
This next one is for my LE(law enforcement) friends who might be getting a little worried about me about now.
.
"When I first heard that Marge was joining the police academy, I thought it would be fun and zany, you know like that movie... "Spaceballs". But instead it was dark and disturbing, like that movie "Police Academy"." Homer Simpson
.
If Given A Choice Of Controlling Ugly Crowds, Participating In Violent Sports Or Enjoying Extreme Skiing......I Choose Extreme Skiing
In ugly crowd situations others can get hurt. In violent sports others can get hurt. In both there is a limited number of decisive moments that can give you the joy of exercising your skills.
.
In extreme skiing situations, only you, the skier can get hurt and the joyous skill testing comes continuously providing a gravity manipulating dance that lasts all day.
.
What a rush. What an affirmation of the joy of life.

LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW!!!!
.
But these are young person's games and I am no longer young. Time to .........

The next picture is of some ORMS Stewards practicing both rappeling and ascending.


Silver Spring Wanderer captures some light. If you follow her blog you will realize that her subjects are often the wild flowers of the Appalachian Mountains.

The next two shots are of new Stewards Ben and Gabby. Welcome aboard.
AN ORMS CELEBRATION EVENING

Some folks from the day camped out in anticipation of the next days Fun Day. Jeremy arrived for the night and in hopes of a competitive Scrabble game. We all enjoyed a blazing fire and had some good eats. Sorry LNT folks but I love a great campfire. Check out the following link http://www.bluedeer.org/sacredfirecommunity.html
.
Some highlights of the day's gourmet menu:
Home Made Cinnamon Buns
Olive Tampenade On Bread
Grilled Beef and Swordfish Steaks
Mashed Potatoes
Grilled Acorn Squash and Portobello Caps
Wine

No comments:

Post a Comment